We all strive to look our best, and work at a positive self image for both external and internal happiness. How you feel about yourself is a very important ingredient to health and happiness. Our smile is one of the very first things people notice, so here are a few ways to ensure you keep it as healthy as possible.
1. Learn to manage stress and you can add years to your life. Less stress is also healthier for your gums.
2. Ask your hygienist to coach you on your brushing and flossing routine and to recommend the correct products for your teeth and gums.
3. Brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes twice a day, using a soft traditional or electric toothbrush.
4. Floss, floss, floss daily and you’ll keep yourself (and your teeth) young.
5. Get regular dental check-ups and professional teeth cleanings twice a year (or at least once a year).
6. If your teeth are crooked or crowded, discuss with your dentist the prospect of getting them straightened.
7. If you grind or clench your teeth, your dentist may recommend a night guard to protect your teeth from wear and tear.
8. If you have old, large fillings or fixed bridges with ledges that make it tough to clean, talk to your dentist and hygienist about the benefits and options for getting old dental repairs replaced.
9. Avoid decay. Stop sipping sodas throughout the day or sucking on mints or cough drops, especially at night.
10. QUIT SMOKING (or using any tobacco products). Contact the Cancer Society or the American Lung Association in your area to find a good “quit smoking” program.